Monday, December 8, 2008

Ready....Set....Sew!

I was a busy bee this weekend making sure our holiday spirit was as present visually as I felt it was within. The burgeoning spark within me of Christmas time..of warm nights by the fireplace, shimmering lights on rooftops, twinkling stars and yummy treats, was just bursting to get out.
Wooh, and did I have fun. Michael and I hunted for the perfect Christmas tree on Saturday and found just that. After the fruitful hunt we headed back to the homestead where I started my crafting and Michael... like every day went surfing. I love that this is his thing, it doesn't hurt that when I decide to stay home from the beach I get a few hours of "me" time at home. Like most other days I tend to bring my selected supplies from the craft room downstairs where I explode with fabric tidbits, errand strands of thread, the occasional lost embroidery needle (ouch..found it) , and all scraps and wonder of cutting, piecing, threading, looping...while watching my girlie movie drinking my coffee or lambrusca. With a quick clean up and a log in the fireplace I am good to greet him with a smile and satisfaction of a finished product…
So that isn’t always true..the clean up sometimes happens later that evening but the satisfaction is always there!! Since it is our first Christmas together (we met right after the holiday last year) we needed some stockings for our hearth so I set on the idea of quilting us a pair. I went with a colored scheme of blues for him and reds and oranges for me. I pieced and pieced and pieced then quilted and sewed until voila!















Realizing our tree looked a little dormant (I had decided I better not use the pink ornaments of previous “Emmy only” years on the tree), I thought I fill the empty space with a few felted birds. I pieced those together with Vandali pearl cotton and Rainbow “felt” (this stuff is really cool, it is made from 100 percent recycled plastic bottles, not wool at all) and voila!














Realizing the need for a wreath (I asked the tree cutter for some greenery and he send us home with a ton of extra branches) I decided to use an old acorn wreath I picked up at a thrift store and added some fresh sprigs and voila!

I was getting tired and hungry so Michael and I cooked up some tasty red beans and rice from the Moose Lodge cookbook and voila… aaah sorry no picture there we ate that with gusto!

Well I hope your weekend was satisfying and productive…onward to work and Monday! Grunt..

No comments: