Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Greetings with Ellie Pooh

So I fell hard for Mr. Ellie Pooh Paper aptly named after it's source …err… you got it Elephant Dung! Our local eco-conscious, eco-friendly store supplies this in a range of jewel tone and natural colors, that is just fantastic paper to work with. Textured, sturdy, papyrus-like and of course saves elephants! The process is the collection, the cleaning (yes they sanitize), the dying, and the drying. Just like paper-making at home just with a smaller step (the cellulose is already blended, hee hee).

Not one thing gross about this stuff i swear. So this is what I gathered from my stationary stamp from them…In Sri Lanka there is a lot of conflict between agriculture and elephants so this business came in and started paying for the collection of elephant dung (which is basically raw cellulose as they are strict vege's) thereby decreasing the deaths of many large beasts as they were not seen as a commodity before rather a nuisance. With the dung being priced out many ellie’s are alive for that fact.

I highly support this stationary not only because it supports a great cause but because it is gorgeous! I swear it! Check out the website and order some, you won’t be disappointed.
Because I love it so much I have incorporated it into my annual holiday cards for the last three years. This year is no different. I got started yesterday and had so much fun with it. I am not completely done yet but I took some pictures nonetheless. I usually make an intricate stamp but this year went for an easy design inspired by a stamp I saw online. I also used banana paper stationery (the lighter colored paper) and printed "Merry Christmas" in ton's of different languages as a backdrop to the stamp. I decided on a pop out design for the inside and made a lil evergreen forest within each card. So much fun! I will be finishing them up soon and will post the final product. Merry Christmas!

I wanted to post some new pictures of the finished product so here they are!

...inside with added stamps and sequins..

..the front with added cream colored ric rac

2 comments:

A New England Life said...

Hi Em,

I saw you over on Martha Stewart so I had to come see how your cards turned out. My gosh they are adorable! Better than Martha's by far! You definitely have the crafty gene that's for sure.

So glad I stopped by : )

Sharon

Anonymous said...

I found your blog via Amiee's and I have to say that your cards are so adorable. What a talented family!!!
P.S: love your thanksgiving table - so fresh and sweet:)
--Preeti--