Wednesday, March 4, 2009

For the love of the craft.

I love to create things, beautiful, natural things.
I was thinking of how I functioned with the stress and competition in persuing a degree in college and realized that I always had an artistic outlet there to help me through it. I think about my college life and realize that ceramics was a huge part of me accomplishing two degrees in science. If I didn't have that outlet I wouldn't have been able to keep up with the schedule and pace. It was a time where I simply didn't have to think so hard but rather just let go and flow with my emotions.

When I think about my past with ceramics, I go all soft. I didn't just dabble with this artform, I actually minored in it. For four almost five years I dedicated all my free time to this art, I was accepted into the honors ceramic program, i.e., the "back room", where I had my own studio space with key and all hour access for the last two years of my college life. I had my work in mutiple shows and even a solo show at the school.

Seeing photos had me thinking of all this and how much it was a part of me and how much I really miss it. Of course i will go back to it when the space and materials are right but thinking back and looking at photos got me thinking. It is weird how I duplicate that same need now. Working in an environmental firm during the day and crafting at night has become a daily ritual that I come to love. Unable to get my hands on the pottery wheel or a space to get messy in, I replaced ceramics with jewelry making and sewing.

Well, intermixed in this are photos of my work, as I was a botany/biology major you will see what inspired me then :) And the last one is of me cracking up at that show I mentioned.
Wishing you a great Wednesday
Emmy B

2 comments:

jillian said...

Your own show - that's fantastic! Those pieces are gorgeous. Being in the environmental field myself and generally a tree-hugger, my favorite works of art often have a natural theme like yours.

mames said...

oh em, your work is just so special, so special. i love seeing you in your show.

i really want to make it up for the summer faire. does that sound okay if we can get there?